Monday, January 30, 2017

Food Photos - January Part 1

One of our New Year's Rituals - Bonfire (2nd Sunday of Jan.)

I'm terrible. It's already May. Yeah, again, I procrastinated.
And now I'm trying to catch up by just posting several pics for each month, with a short summary of what happened then, maybe (and with faked dates, of course).

So, here's some photos from January. On this post I'll have the ones related to traditional New Year's customs.

Long-term readers of my blog already know about osechi and have seen photos of our family osechi for years, right? ;)
Almost the same, every year. Ha ha.
But with mom's hospitalization and my broken foot, it was just great that we were able to do "the same thing" again this year...

And our family tradition: New Year's celebration ritual (which you read about over and over on this blog, right? ;))




Oh, yeah! I didn't forget to wear kimono! At that time, mom was back from the hospital just for a short stay and still very weak, so I couldn't count on her help. It took hours for me to put on this outfit and the tie was getting loose by the time I got this shot. From my unnatural posture, I guess you can tell I was trying hard to hide that fact ... LOL

In our community, on the 2nd Sunday of Jan. kids collect New Years' decoration items in the neighborhood and burn them to send the God of New Year back to heaven. It is said that if you eat the rice cake grilled over this bonfire (more precisely, grilled over the charcoal heated in this bonfire), you don't catch cold or can stay healthy throughout the year.
Yeah, the same beginning of a new year, again.
I'm grateful.
Really.
.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise you, I will never get tired of seeing photos of your family's osechi - so beautiful! As is your kimono, loose tie or not.
Hang in there!
Annette

obachan said...

Hi Annette,
Oh how nice of you to say that.
Thanks! :D

Jen said...

Welcome back! Your photos are so lovely. Thank you for sharing, I always look forward to your posts!

obachan said...

Jen
It's so nice of you to say that. I'm catching up gradually, so stay tuned! :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin