Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Road to Beetroot Pickles

When I try to recall my memories of cafeteria food at the University of Southern Mississippi, this comes to my mind first: beetroot pickles.
I had never seen anything like that before. And first they looked like some kind of jelly. So the taste and the texture was a big surprise for me.
...
And I loved it! Especially when I ate them with cottage cheese.

Now more then twenty years later, in my hometown, I often thought about them but never really thought that I could taste them again in my room here. Of course no local supermarkets here have them on the shelf. And although I can buy them online -- Amazon, as usual -- for some reason I didn't feel like giving it a try.

But two years ago, when I was wondering what to grow in my veggie garden, something inside of me told me to buy beetroot seeds via Amazon.

 
This Year's Harvest

Actually, my first attempt failed. The leaves grew alright, but the roots didn't grow at all.
But this year... See the photo above? This is how much I got. Quite enough to try making beetroot pickles!

So I gave it a try!! :D



Oh it was sooooooooooooooooo much fun to peel the cooked beetroots!! :D :D I thought I could keep doing it forever!
And the sink was like a scene from a splatter horror movie, except the blood was too pinkish.
And they say beetroot juice is good for your health, right?

Now, this is what I made. Beetroot pickles. Just like I dreamed of.
I can't wait to try them with some cottage cheese!!
.
.

3 comments:

Kahiau said...

Those look impressive! I'm sure they will taste even better than the ones that you remember...

K and S said...

they look fabulous!

obachan said...

Kahiau
Thanks. I already tasted them and they were not bad.

K and S
Hi! So nice to hear from you. :D
Yeah, I'm totally happy with the way they look.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin