Thursday, December 10, 2015

Looking Back at 2015: Jan-Mar

January
January is pomelo season. We harvested about this many from the tree in the backyard. 
In this month, my aunt who was at the terminal stage of cancer came back from the hospital. I spent good amount of time with her but still had enough time to enjoy cooking at my parents' house.
I made candied pomelo peel and coated some of them with chocolate.YUM. :)

February
We had a decent catch of Buri (Japanese amberjack) in our town this year. The best way to eat it is sashimi (sliced raw). Look ! The slices are sinfully fatty and taste heavenly ... especially with good dry sake.
Sushi is another great way to eat it.

BTW, can you imagine what this is?
I learned to make can stoves out of aluminum cans.
Of course I tried boiling water with it and enjoyed this meal in the orchard. :D


And one day I baked a carrot cake.

My aunt was getting weaker and weaker. It was emotionally overwhelming and I often needed to do something different for a change.

March
My aunt passed away in the middle of this month.
After her funeral and following memorial ceremonies, I ended up having so many different kinds of fruits left in the kitchen. I dried them, cooked them with sugar, and even baked a pie in my aunt's small toaster oven.
Not very successful... but was edible, at least. :P
.
.

5 comments:

Belle said...

Looks beautiful! My favorite is the carrot cake. It looks so fluffy and a nice shade of orange, definitely much more appealing than the types of carrot cake people here in the US make.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's good to see that you didn't give up on cooking at this time. Good food and exercising your creativity in the kitchen is a good way to make it through tough times.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Telamonides said...

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt. My Father passed away 6 months ago and it has been difficult dealing with the hole left in our lives. I wish had been more appreciative of what he provided to my family because I am now acutely aware of how much he did for my family and my sister and especially my Mother.
Is it possible that you could post a blog about how to make the can stove from an aluminum can? We only have an electric stove top in my house and sometimes it would be nice to cook something with a flame. Thank you.

obachan said...

Belle
Thank you so much for inspiring me to re-start posting on this blog.
I totally agree with you about how cooking helps when going through a tough time. :)
Oh, and blogging helps, too.

Talemomides
We always think that we could have done better when thinking about our past, don't we?
That's the way it is, I guess... but probably it doesn't mean that we didn't do our best. I guess your dad knew how much you loved him. :)

About the can stove;
I think the "sideburner stove" on this site is the one I made.
http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/hop-can-stoves-how-to-make-5-ultralight-bikepacking-stoves/
Hope this helps.:)

Telamonides said...

Thank you for the link!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin