Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Another Jam Session in the Kitchen! ;)

Homemade Blueberry Jam, 2014 

I've been lucky with my jam making this summer: Ume plum jam (used the plums taken out from homemade ume juice), tomato jam (used home-grown oval tomatoes, Aiko) and this blueberry jam.

If you are a long-term reader of my blogs including the previous foodblog, you might remember the sunshine blue bush I was growing in a planter? I brought it with me when I moved into my parents' house and planted it in the garden. Last winter it looked sick, so I cut most of its branches. Then the bush had no flowers this spring and I thought the other blueberry wouldn't yield any fruits because it wasn't a self-pollinating kind. But for some reason (maybe someone in this neighborhood is growing blueberries), it gave me this many!

This Year's Harvest (336 g)

Yep, I kept them in the freezer, and this time I didn't wash them before freezing because I had read that it would make the skin harder. And the day before yesterday, I finished the tomato jam, so yesterday morning, I found myself cooking these berries in an enameled pot.

The jam tastes good, but seedy. I wonder if there is a seedy kind or it's the way I grow the bush...
.
.

3 comments:

K and S said...

glad you had a nice harvest!

obachan said...

Thank you, Kat!
I've come a long way since those "balcony garden" days. haha...
(Sorry about this late response.X( )

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are so lucky! I have some blueberry bushes, but I guess they are too small. I get maybe 1 or 2 blueberries (yes, just 1 or 2) a year. Haha! Every jam I've made with blueberries has been a bit seedy, though, even ones from the store? :(

-N

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin