Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sudachi Infused Liquor!

Sudachi (Citrus Sudachi)

Sudachi is a small, round citrus fruit that looks like a baby lime, except that it is a little flatter. I love to use Sudachi in place of lemon when I eat seafood, because it adds such a refreshing fragrance! :D

My family is lucky to have a sudachi tree near the graveyard. It gives us plenty of fruit every year and we never have to buy any at the store. And this year, I decided to give this a try:
Sudachi Infused Liquor

At the end of May this year, I made plum infused liquor. And I didn't know what to do with the leftover distilled liquor and rock sugar. Now this is the perfect chance to use them up.
:)

It was not easy to pick a recipe, though. Some recipe sites says "Do not peel sudachi," others says, "Peel most of them but leave a few unpeeled," without really explaining the reason why. And some says, "Take out the rind in 2 weeks," so maybe the green rind can add a little bitterness to the drink or something??  Well, we'll see.
Here's the recipe I used this time:
----------
Sudachi Infused Liquor
  Twelve sudachi citrus, peeled (three were unpeeled and halved)
  250 g   rock sugar
  900 mL distilled liquor (called "White liquor"in Japan)
-----------

They say it will be ready in about three months. So I should be able to enjoy the drink with hotpot dishes at the end of this year. How nice!  :D
Mmmmm... Maybe I should get some vodka and do the same to make a special drink for Christmas dinner. ;)
.
.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the posts about enjoying your infusions!

-Alan-

Anonymous said...

HI!! Obachan...

just wanted to say hi :)

jim

obachan said...

Hi Alan,

Yep, I'm looking forward to posting about it. Ohhhh... I can't wait! :D

obachan said...

Hi Jim,

That's very nice of you.
Thanks! :D

Anonymous said...

I think the white "pith" is what causes bitterness...

obachan said...

Hi anonymous commenter,

Yeah, right. So I should have removed it more carefully... This time I peeled them like you peel apples with a knife. That means I left more of the pith this time compared to the time I peeled them with my fingers.
Oh well, let's see. If it turns out bitter, I guess I would have to leave the liquor mature for a longer time. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin