Saturday, July 12, 2014

Kolokithokeftedes - Zucchini Meatballs

Kolokithokeftedes

Kolokithokeftedes? I don't have a slightest idea of how to pronounce it. LOL
As far as I know, it's a Greek dish and the name means "zucchini meatballs." Right?

Ever since I gave it a try for the first time in June, 2009, this is "the must" dish for me when I have some home-grown zucchini on hand. It is because I was so fascinated by the meat-like taste of the deep-fried zucchini patties.

Now, I didn't have a success with my zucchini this year.  A few weeks ago, I complained on my FB page that my zucchini fruits grew to thumb size and rot.Then I realized that only two zucchini plants were not enough to have male and female flowers bloom at the same time, and I needed to give them hand pollination to have a decent harvest.

So I gave it a try, and had this result...

... and today I made Kolokithokeftedes after four years break since the first attempt!

If you're interested in the recipe, it's here.  But to tell you the truth, I never follow this recipe as is. (Of course. We can't find Feta cheese around here in the first place.)
Today, I skipped the parsley, potato and carrot, and used only these.



Yeah, the patties were a little too runny.

I have no idea what gives this meat-like flavor... Zucchini? Cheese? Both? It's amazing!
Today, the result was satisfactory, though probably I should have browned them more.

BTW, I think I like making Kolokithokeftedes without adding grated potato... It may make them more like potato pancakes if you added too much.
.
.

2 comments:

obachan said...

Sorry, N!

I deleted your comment by mistake when I was trying to delete mine.
Here's your comment I copy-and-pasted from the comment notification email.

-----
OMG, obachan, these look soooo good! These definitely are going on my list of recipes to try. I only ever eat zucchini one way (a kind of sauteed/simmered, Americanized version of a ratatouille), so even when zucchini(s?) are in season and cheap, I don't pick up too much of it at the grocery store because I would run out of things to do with it.

Thanks for sharing! :9

-N

obachan said...

Hi again,

Thanks for visiting this blog often. So you're going to give this a try?
If you did, let me know how you liked it! :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin