Thursday, July 17, 2014

Dehydrating Aiko!

A Variety of Plum Tomato Named "Aiko"

"Aiko" is a girl's name in Japan, but I'm not dehydrating a girl, of course, so don't worry. ;)
I'm just going to dry these cute, oval-shaped tomatoes! Oh, they would be great with pasta and pizza!!
 
Originally, my plan was sun-drying them. It sounded like the best method both taste-wise and nutrition-wise. HOWEVER, when I tried it about a week ago, I had to learn in a hard way that:
a) it takes more than one day to dry these juicy tomatoes, and
b) the half-dried tomato halves rot VERY easily  :(

So this time, first I sun-dried them on the beach, then...

... tried to finish them up in the oven @ 130 degrees C for about an hour.


When came out of the oven, still they were not quite dry yet, but I didn't continue the attempt any longer, being worried about the power bill. I decided to sun-dry them again the next day, but I was again worried about what would happen to them during the hot and humid night.  So I stored them in the fridge overnight, which was ... probably one of the major mistakes I make often ...??? They looked terribly soggy in the bag this morning! :O

Would these ever dry up ???

So finally... I asked a friend of mine to let me use this modern convenience.
Now, four hours later...

.
Tada ~ !!

Now I have these fragrant dried tomatoes on hand. It would have cost a lot if I had bought them at the store! Some of them turned out quite dry and others a bit moister, and I cannot decide whether to store them simply in an empty air-tight jar or in olive oil... or maybe I should freeze them?

Anyway, I can't wait to use them. :) Stay tuned for my posts about pizza and pasta with home-grown herbs AND these dried tomatoes which went through all three drying methods: sun-, oven- and food-dryer drying!! YAY! :D
.
.

4 comments:

Ellie Wong said...

Addressing saving on your electricity, I saw this: they are drying their apple slices in their car windshield. How clever is that. A cookie sheet was held up by the steering wheel and placed right up to their windshield.

obachan said...

That's an excellent idea, Ellie!
I've got to give it a try.
Wish there was a photo of how they're doing that...

Ginger said...

In the autumn, Alys Fowler slices apples into rings and dries them in the house for a couple of days. If done properly they last for months. You can watch her do it here: http://youtu.be/8WkSdgFdALk?t=15m53s.

obachan said...

Hi Ginger,
Thanks for sharing the movie!
Yeah, the dried apples look so lovely! :D
I guess I would have to wait until dry season to give it a try. It's too terribly humid over here now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin