Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Heartfelt Thank You to Someone Who Invented Jam

Does anyone remember a movie, "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes?"   

I always order a pack of tomatoes through Co-op, which usually contains about 3 to 4 of them in a plastic pack. And last week, one of my relatives gave us a bagful of home-grown tomatoes -- 5 or 6 of them in a plastic bag.

So I asked mom NOT to buy tomatoes any more. I asked her TWICE.

And a few days ago, when a fruit vendor truck came, OF COURSE mom bought a bagful, which contained 6 ripe -- very ripe tomatoes!

Help! Tomatoes! And More Tomatoes are Coming...

Now, we still have tomato sauce in our freezer from two years ago. There is absolutely no room for another large ziploc bag filled with tomato sauce. So ... you know what's left to do.
Yes. Another jam-making therapy session this afternoon.
When making tomato jam, I always add a secret ingredient.
Well, maybe this is not a "secret" ingredient any more... I guess these days many people know this idea of adding a little pepper to jam to give it a little kick. Right?
I always use black pepper -- whole black pepper seeds. There's plenty left in the bag, by the way, because tomato jam and cherry tomato pickles are the only things that I use the pepper for.


Anyway, as in the title of this post, I really would like to thank the person who invented jam in the first place. Last month I fought against the invasive plant, Itadori (Japanese Knotweed) by making its young shoots into jam. And this time, these tomatoes.

HaHaHa... So, listen to me, fruits or vegetables or certain edible wild plants of the season! I'm not afraid of you any more! Come to my -- actually mom's -- kitchen anytime, and I'll make you into jam! No more waste! No more pulling my hair out saying, "AHHHHH What can I do with all these. They'll go bad soon!" HaHahaha....
.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoooaaa, tomato jam? Is it sweet, then? And you just put in bread, like other fruit jams? I never thought of making tomatoes into jams before...

One of my favorite ways to eat tomatoes is to slice them up, layer them with some sugar, and let them sit in the refrigerator, maybe over night (or just toss in some ice and water if I want it right then). Then you get cool, delicious tomatoes/tomato juice. Yuuuum. :9 Of course I have to watch the sugar so that I can tell myself it's still healthy... haha!

-N

obachan said...

Hi N,
Thanks for your comment.

Yes, it is sweet. A little too sweet this time, to tell you the truth. Too much sugar. ;P

Your way of eating tomatoes is actually similar to what my grandma used to do when I was a child. In those days tomatoes were not sweet at all, and things like mayo or salad dressings were not popular in Japan yet. So many people loved to eat tomatoes with sugar. But my family never thought about letting sugared tomato slices sit in the fridge like that. That sounds like a good idea. |Thanks!
I'll give it a try. ;)

hollow.nerd said...

Woah I never thought of making tomato jam though.Whenever I have too much tomatoes on hand , I just turn into tomato sauce lol.But yes the struggle is real.We bought too many unnecessary things and get panicked and have to figure out a way to use before its rotten haha.I feel your pain.

And if N hasn't stated , I would have forget that that was my favorite way to eat tomatoes when I was young too.But too bad it ain't sweet anymore these days as you said ;( so tomato covered with sugar doesn't seem so appealing to me anymore *sigh*

obachan said...

Hi Hollow.nerd,

Thanks. Glad to know that I'm not the only one struggling. :D

Thinking about my childhood, I think the taste of tomatoes and corns changed quite a bit here. I'm spoiled with the recent sweetness-enhanced varieties, but sometimes I do miss the "classic" tastes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin