Friday, May 30, 2014

Curiosity and Willingness to Improve ?

Ume Plum Juice, Day 8

See? I couldn't resist the temptation again. Last year, my attempt of making juice with unripe, green plums was not successful. What a waste! So I was determined not to give it a try again. Well, at least, at that time.

But more than a week ago, when I saw green plums on the shelf at the farmers' market and supermarket, I gave in right on the spot. And yes. I'm using rock sugar again. Didn't I decide not to do this in 2012? You're right. I did. But the truth is... when used granulated sugar, the juice didn't taste as good as the time I used rock sugar.

So this year, I decided to give it a try again, with an improved approach. This time, I'll shake the jar gently once in a while to help dissolve the sugar. And as soon as the sugar at the bottom of the jar disappears, I'm going to take out the plums and put the jars in the fridge.
Let's see how that works. ;)
Looks like it is this curiosity and willingness to improve that are driving me to waste buy 1kg unripe ume plums and 1kg sugar every year. ;P

Oh, if you're interested in the ume juice recipe, click here.  (I don't use 1kg sugar any more, though. It makes the juice too sweet for me. You might want to adjust the amount of sugar to suit your taste buds.) ;)

Umeshu (Ume-Plum Infused Distilled Liquor), Day 3

And I also gave in to the temptation of the green plums on the tree in our garden.
They're now in the jar with distilled liquor and again, rock sugar.

There is another thing I would like to give it a try after the umeshu is ready. A friend of mine told me that the ume plums taken out from the liquor would taste great when batter-fried. Is that so?! Mmmmmm.... I've got to find out.
Definitely.
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, there's something so exciting about those fresh, clear jars glinting in the light - the excitement of future potential!

I hope it goes better than it has in the past! :)

-N

obachan said...

Thanks, N.

Yeah, I hope so, too.
So far I see no problem at all. The rock sugar is melting OK, and the syrup and the plums are not getting moldy or anything.
Mmmmm.... Maybe a great success is waiting for me? ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin