Friday, January 10, 2014

Long Procrastination...

Homemade Blueberry Jam 

Last year was a good year for my blueberries. The summer was quite hot and dry, but they yielded more-than-usual amount of berries. Mom and I had fun picking them and throwing them into carefully storing them in the freezer. Then I almost forgot about it. Hahaha... The berries came into my attention at the end of 2013 when I stored/defrosted lots of frozen food to prepare the New Year's feast. I kept telling them (in my mind, of course), "OK. I know you're there. But not right now!"

Now, it's 2014. The Osechi feast is gone and our fridge and freezer are getting back to normal status. And I thought it was time for this.
This is how they looked when they came out of the freezer.
Now what? Blueberry pies? Pancakes? Muffins? What I really, really loved to do in the States was eating them fresh, smothered in cream. MMmmmmm!!! I could eat a big bowlful within seconds.

But these were helplessly sour. I know. In the photo above, obviously some don't look ripe enough. But even the dark-colored, ripe-looking ones were sour. I knew it because I tasted some last summer. So, I decided not to take a risk.
Yes, I went for blueberry jam.
The jam turned out alright... It was sweet enough because I put lots of sugar.
But the texture! :(
I should have googled about "tough blueberry skins" before freezing them.
Anyway, at least it's pretty photogenic when served this way. 

Luckily, the tough skins and lots of seeds did not bother me too much when I ate the jam on a toasted bread. So that's how I'm going to consume the rest of it.
.
.

6 comments:

littlemancat said...

I am so happy to see that you are posting again! Yay! I am not a FB member, and so can only read your writing here. Happy New Year!

obachan said...

Hi littlemancat,
Happy New Year!
Thank you! Your comment made me really happy.
Wish you an exciting new year! :D

Katherine said...

It's so good to have you blogging again おばちゃん! I've been checking in every so often to see if you were alright. All my very best wishes to you as yet ANOTHER new year begins. Katherine.xx

obachan said...

Thank you, Katherine!
How nice of you to check in my blog once in a while. Since I started blogging again, I've received several emails and comments from the readers. It's touching...! :D

Katherine said...

I'm so glad. Your life has changed so much in the years that I've been following your blog and its nice to know you're safe and well. You have friends all over the world cheering you on with your work in the Geopark and helping your parents.

obachan said...

I just posted an update on our situation. Things have definitely changed... for better or worse. ;)
And I really appreciate the support of all my friends in the cyberspace. Truth is, I don't know how I could live without it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin