Sunday, January 05, 2014

Happy New Year!


Happy New Year!

See the first sunrise of 2014!  That morning, I stayed on the beach for about an hour, trying to shoot impressive shots of the sun rising from the horizon.

... I know. The previous post was written in September. What have I been doing for the past three months? No excuse. It's just that I was a slave of Facebook.
But I promise. This year, I'm going to post more on this blog. Just like I used to do.

Anyway...

As some of the long-term readers of my blog may know, in the morning of January 1st, my family goes through the New Year celebration rituals. I first blogged about the rituals in 2005, and I don't think I can explain it any better now. So if you're interested, find out about it here. (Oh, but now it's only three of us celebrating together: my dad, mom and I.)


OK. I might as well explain this again here:
This container is filled with rice, and on top of it you see sliced mochi (rice cakes), daidai orange (symbolizes the success passed from generation to generation = daidai in Japanese), sprig of bamboo, pine and plum (symbolize blessing of longevity), thinly-cut kobu (kelp: happiness and joy, from a Japanese word, yorokobu = to feel happy), kachiguri (dried chestnuts: victory because Kachi means "winning") and hoshigaki (dried persimmon: long life).

And basically, our Osechi feast is the same every year -- Yes, same food, same jubako (tiered lacquer boxes), and about the same amount. :D
But it IS a blessing that my family can do the same every year, because that means we're not in a serious trouble or anything. You know what I mean?

There WERE minor problems, of course, and I was exhausted to death when everything was ready.
But let's not be pessimistic.
My family members are not totally healthy but not seriously sick.
The main breadwinner is still unemployed but the family is not starving.
And the sun shines on everyone, including me.

So, here's to all my dear friends,

I wish you all the very best of 2014!
.
.

4 comments:

tofugirl said...

Happy new year Obachan! So nice to see you posting occasionally :)

obachan said...

Hi Tofugirl,
Happy New Year!
So nice to know that you still read my blog. Thank you!
I'm going to post more often on this blog this year. Come visit often! :D

Tea Apprentice said...

Happy New Year to you too, and thank you as always for your blog!

obachan said...

Hi, Tea Apprentice,
Happy New Year to you, too. :)
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Wish you a wonderful 2014.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin