Saturday, July 07, 2012

Abalone adventure -1

Cream Pasta Flavored with Green Seaweed powder and topped with Abalone Slices and small dried shrimp

Like I wrote in my previous post, I love abalone picking. This was what I caught on July 4th. To make the best use of this very tasty but chewy type of abalone, I brainstormed for a little while. And the top photo was my attempt.
 Though I sliced them very thin, still the shell fish was quite chewy. So I ended up eating those slices and the pasta separately. And when I was about to finish this dish, another idea popped up in my mind.
:)
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad the pasta didn't work well -- it looked great! Did you use the pressure cooker to cook the abalone for the pasta and pizza? If you say that the pressure cooker makes the abalone not chewy, then maybe you could cook the abalone first before mixing it with the pasta?

Actually, I don't remember ever having abalone. Maybe I have had it once in a restaurant, but I don't like very chewy things so I don't remember the taste if I did have it. It would be interesting to pick and cook them for myself though! I am glad to read about your experiences!

obachan said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes, I used the pressure cooker. And still some big ones were quite chewy.
They were very tasty, though.

Not all types of abalone are chewy, so maybe there are dishes -- maybe Chinese abalone dishes that you might like if you'd give it a try. My dream is trying abalone steamed with sake.
;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin