Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Learning from Experience

Ume Plums Juice Project (started on May 28th, 2012)

 When was the last time I made ume plum juice this way? Perhaps two years ago...?  OK. It was in 2010. Hmmm... so last year was the only year that I didn't give this a try. But I have a confession. The attempt in 2010 was not successful and that was the reason why I didn't feel like trying it again in 2011. In 2010, I used crystallized sugar, which melted very slowly. So before enough juice came out to cover the ume plums, it was already late June and the temperature and humidity rose to an uncomfortable level. As a result, obviously an unwanted process took place in the jar and spoiled the juice.

Well, I can proudly tell you that I've learned a lesson. See? This year I have started this project much earlier and used granulated sugar! Also, I didn't use speckled plums at all this time, because the batch made with speckled ones in 2009 did not taste good. For this first batch, I used store-bought, good green ume plums only.


I'm going to make the second batch tomorrow, using store-bought plums AND a handful plums from the tree in our garden.
Hope I have a success this year! :D
.
.

4 comments:

K and S said...

hope this works out :)

littlelichen said...

Hope you are successful this time! I bet it will be delicious. :)

Anonymous said...

Yum, looks like a tasty start! :) I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

obachan said...

K & S
Yep, I do, too.

littlelichen
Hope nothing bad happens. :)

Anonymous commenter
It should be ready in a few weeks. Can't wait!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin