Monday, December 12, 2011

Kinmedai Ankake Donburi

Kinmedai Ankake Donburi (Deep-fried Alfonsino on Rice with Starchy Sauce)
at Jibaumaya restaurant, Cape Muroto

About two weeks ago, one of my facebook friends and I talked about this fish, Kinmedai. Its English translation is probably "alfonsino," but the friend gave me a much more descriptive translation: "the splendid golden eyed red snapper." I love it.

Today I had this Donburi (rice bowl) dish for lunch. Alfonsino is my favorite fish. But we don't see it very often in our kitchen, because it is expensive.

The fish was OK, but the starchy sauce was not too great. Mmmmm... :(


Oh, I almost forgot.
On the night of the 10th, we saw a total eclipse of the moon here in Japan. These are the shots I took that night.


Not bad, huh? ;)
.
.

2 comments:

tofugirl said...

Oh wow, I love those moon photos! So beautiful. And your donburi looks really yummy. I'm not sure I've ever had kinmedai...I'm not even sure if it's available here! I must check.

obachan said...

Oh, sorry! I didn't make this donburi dish. I had it at a restaurant which is about 15 minutes drive from my house. :)
Anyway, kinmedai may be available at some expensive Japanese restaurants... they are great when cooked with gobou (burdock).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin