Sunday, May 23, 2010

Busy and Fun Days

Dorayaki (pancakes with sweetened azuki bean paste filling)

Well, this photo has nothing to do with me having busy and fun days, but this is the only photogenic food in the kitchen at the moment. Hahaha...

Anyway, as I told you before, I started working full time on May 6th -- right after the "Golden Week" here in Japan. I am a translator for a local geopark project which I was helping as a volunteer tour guide in my jobless days. Now I do translation work at the secretariat section of the project, occasionally giving a tour to visitors (sometimes in English), and also help with many activities to promote geopark and educate the public.

The activities include joining community meetings to talk to local grandpas and grandmas about what geopark is, or going hiking with kids to see how "nature tourism" is being introduced in this rural town blessed with abundant nature. Let me tell ya; In the past couple of weeks, I joined two community meetings (I didn't do the talking but I was there to help) and one hiking, and helped with a tour for more than 30 overseas trainees! Now you know why I said, "busy and fun days," right?

-- I AM HAVING FUN!! --

I told you that my colleagues are nice. But they are more than just nice. The people I work with at my new workplace are young, energetic folks who love to meet people to try out new ideas together. Those are the people who make you feel 10 years younger. We joke together, brainstorm together and share ideas and experiences together. It's been a while since I took part in something like this last time.

Of course there will be a lot of challenges. And in my case, it can be devastating when they happen both at work and at home at the same time. But you know, there are times in your life that you have to take a risk, and your inner voice tells you that it's worth taking a risk. You know what I mean? I thought this was one of those times, so I'm taking a risk. Could be a stupid decision, but... well, we'll see.

BTW, these store-bought dorayaki were pretty good. Sometimes you find dry, firm ones, but these were moist and not too sweet. My favorite kind.
:)
.
.

12 comments:

K and S said...

yummy! nice to hear about your job, glad you are having fun :)

Cara said...

I'm so happy for you that you've found a job you really enjoy!

blaine said...

I left a comment for you on your other blog (Obachan's Scribbles) that I would like you to read when you have the chance ^_^

cocopuff1212 said...

A job like the one you describe is very empowering and inspiring. But I bet the effect is a 2-way street -- you're doing the empowering and inspiring as well.

Thanks for updating us -- I am very glad to find you excited like this!

JW said...

that's wonderful news! It's so important to like your coworkers and job. Lucky you!

totoro kaiwa said...

Good to hear you so enthused about your job.

Diana

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to hear about your work situation. Your coworkers sound totemo genki! It's great to work with upbeat people like that!

Anonymous said...

Ummh, just when I drool over how nice to bite into a nice puffy piece of Dorayaki:P

Way to go!
Obachan Ganbatte!

Next trip bring grandma & grandpa to Penang ya.

Love malaysiaelayne

YSC said...

Hi Obachan, I'm so happy to hear you have such a good and fun job! I wish you all the best, and maybe if we ever come to visit your part of the world, we can take a tour with you!

obachan said...

K & S;
Yeah. Fun! Gee, how long have I been without it?

Cara;
Thank you.

blaine;
Yeah, I read it. Thanks. And PLEASE come to my town someday!

cocopuff1212;
Oh, how nice of you to say that! I never thought about that but if I'm inspiring and empowering someone, that's great -- really great. :)

JW;
Yes. I'm lucky.

totoro kaiwa;
Honestly, I'm feeling like a different person now.

Anonymous commenter;
Yeah, they're tottemo genki!

malaysiaelayne;
AH! That'll be a real fun! :D

YSC;
OF COURSE! Come to my hometown! I'll be your tourguide.

Caffettiera said...

Hi Obachan, I'm really glad for you. The best and funniest job I had in my whole life was working as a museum guide in a science museum. The atmosphere was pretty much like the one you describe, totally inspiring. I still miss it: have fun!

Michelle@TastyThailand said...

Oh I love these. You can buy these all over Bangkok, where I live and, like you said, if you get the moist ones and not the dry ones, oh, YUM!!

Love your blog, btw.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin