Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Obachan Eats Langkawi - 2 -

Awana Porto Malay Langkawi

I noticed that I didn't take many photos of main dish because I was busy eating and chatting. And the majority of the not-so-many main dish photos turned out blurred because I didn't have enough light in the room. In a nutshell, you are not going to see the photos of the dishes like chicken dish, lamb dish, curry, stir-fry, pasta and fried rice that I enjoyed so much. Too bad!

This is a shot I took in the traditional fishing village we visited on a field trip. The details of the trip will be (hopefully) posted on another blog of mine sometime soon, but here I'm going to show you the refreshment we had there.

See? I tried coconut juice. First time in my entire life. It wasn't as sweet as I had expected, but it was good, especially with these munchies. I liked the flat, round crackers (chips?) the best.




Another thing to tell you: I tried Chinese take-out food, too.

See the drink in the plastic bag? That's what I wanted to see there... I had heard (or read ) that the drink does not spill, but I couldn't really believe it. Well, what I read was right. The top of the plastic bag was really nicely and tightly closed that the drink was not spilled at all. The ice cream dessert was nice, too. It was warm on the outside, cold and sweet on the inside. Yum! :D

Here's some more food photos from the conference dinner.

Standing in line, it was hard to take shots of warm buffet food in buffet servers with lids. At the table, I was busy eating and chatting. So, again, no main dish photos. :P OK. Desserts again (and the guy who made these sweets).



And this last one is the last meal I had in Malaysia: nasi goreng we had at the airport (KL).
Oh, I LOVED this dish. The sauce was not too sweet and not too spicy -- just perfect for me.

So, that was my heavenly week in Langkawi, Malaysia.
While I was there, basically I was no one's daughter, no one's relative but just "me." That's the kind of freedom that I can never have in my hometown, and I miss it so much, because I don't know when I can ever have a freedom like that next time.

Oh well. Now I've got to get back to the reality and think about what I should do next.
:)
.
.

10 comments:

K and S said...

wonderful adventure Obachan! I hope you get another chance to travel soon :)

Anonymous said...

Oh you got me tearing my hair out with pictures of those FOOD!!! And the sharing of that packet drink, I spilled tea at your cuteness. Can you imagine how tricky it is to get the contents out of that tight package, it's like undoing a water bomb. Try one next time and you'll know. ;)

Can I trust you to be honest, do you seriously think that those food are great? Cos most Japs get me thinking that SE Asian food are like a big mish-mash of 大味 stuff... =( You're not just being polite here are you?

Anyway, I'm really glad for your little getaway at being no-one's-who. Hope that you're totally refreshed.

脳みそ

Anonymous said...

hi dear obachan,

Great that you manage to try what you wanted. I think the drink in the plastic bag is calamansi with salted plum.They are pretty easy to make.Just blend together the whole calamansi with shin too then pour into salted plum soak with sugar syrup.
The last dish you try is Nasi goreng with satay.Check out this recipe http://rasamalaysia.com/malaysian-sataynow-with-peanut-sauce/
Well more interesting happenings coming your way dear. Be ready for it

Love malaysiaelayne

obachan said...

K & S;
Oh, I'd love to travel again, and again, and again...

脳みそ;
Hahaha... About getting the drink out of the plastic bag:
yeah, I actually did that -- in the bathroom sink, to be safe.

Honestly, I liked the food there in Malaysia. I was afraid that I might come across dishes that are too spicy or too sweet, because that's the problem I had once in a while with Chinese dishes. But I never had that problem while in Malaysia perhaps because I was careful with the paste that looked like sambal.

Now, be nice to your hair -- you may need them badly when you get older. :P

Yeah, I got refreshed, and now I feel closer to the world outside my hometown, because I made new friends while in Langkawi.

Anonymous commenter;
Hi! Thank you so much for the information you gave me beforehand. Yep, the name of the drink was something like that.

I do hope that more interesting happenings are coming, because after an exciting experience like that, things back home are looking kinda boring...

ginger said...

I'm SO sorry! Obachan, I used to love your blog but when you moved I somehow forgot to subscribe to your new blog. And I only just found out after a WHOLE year!! Can't believe it! Your "new" site looks great...looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do :D

obachan said...

No problem, ginger. I'm so happy that you made it here. Hope you keep coming visiting this blog. :)

rubswanted said...

Hi Obachan! I love your blog. I discovered your old one in the Fall of 2009 and read the entire thing. In fact, it inspired me to start my own little blog.
Your photos are really great. I did not realize how hard it was to take photos of everything and also have good looking ones until recently. It makes me appreciate your blog even more :)
Anyway, I am glad you had fun in Malaysia. The food looked wonderful. I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulties in the countryside but hang in there!

babe_kl said...

obachan, glad you have a great time in Langkawi. the round crisp in Malay is known as Rempeyek

if you care to make yourself, you can find the recipe here
http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2009/05/rempeyek.html

obachan said...

Thank you, babe_kl! :D Rempeyek. OK, that's the name. But I never thought I could make it at home. I might give it a try someday if I can get the proper seasonings...

Tasty Thailand said...

I get to Kuala Lumpur about six or seven times a year and always eat at the airport on my way home. The food is surprisingly good and inexpensive as airport food goes.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin