Saturday, March 13, 2010

Baby Ume Plums

Baby Ume Plums

Look at these baby ume plums! Aren't they adorable? I'm sure that mom and I will be working like crazy again when the ume season comes this year.

To tell you the truth, I haven't been doing much cooking/baking lately. For the last three months I worked from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM, 5 days a week, and mom dominated the kitchen. Now I don't work there any more, but still I cannot find my place in the kitchen here at my parents' house. *Sigh*

So here I'm posting a photo from last summer, because I haven't taken any food photos for a while. This photo IS related to this topic of ume plum, at least, because ume miso is used for this dish.

Green onion and squid, dressed with ume-miso

Last summer mom and I made this ume miso when we harvested a whole bunch of ume plums in dad's orchard. To make the dish above, all you have to do is blanch and chop green onions (negi), boil and slice squid, mix and dress with ume miso. That's it. (Sprinkle with some white sesame seeds, if desired.) The dish is similar to this nuta salad with vinegar miso dressing, but it turns out so much more refreshing (and easy, too) when used this ume miso.

My ume miso recipe is here.

Have a great weekend, everyone. :)

BTW, if you are interested in Japanese antique dolls, you might want to take a look at this post. It's the festival in my mom's hometown. I went there and took some photos in the first week of March. (Yeah, I'm trying to make the best use of my time in my jobless days...)
.
.

3 comments:

K and S said...

yummy!

Anonymous said...

The Doll Festival isn't doing big at our place, I'm glad you took those great shots. I sorta like the seasonal feel over that site. =)

Stay sane till you're on the beat again.

脳みそ

obachan said...

K & S;
Yep, it was good. ;)

脳みそ;
I'm glad that you liked the photos. Unfortunately it was rather dark inside those houses and the photos didn't turn out the way I wanted. It was such a shame that some of the nice close-ups turned out blurred... :(

Yeah, that site hasn't been updated constantly, but I do try to always give it a seasonal touch. I'm so happy that you liked it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin