Saturday, October 03, 2009

Maybe It Wasn't As Bad As I Thought...

Maybe this bread wasn't a crash and burn like I wrote in my previous post, after all. After letting it rest overnight and using a sharper knife to slice, I got quite decent slices.

I made very easy open sandwiches with sliced cheese and ham, and they were not bad. If used better cheese and some vegetables, and/or some meat with a little spicy seasoning, I think this bread will make really nice and nutritious sandwiches. Now I'm glad that I gave this bread a try.
:)

The recipe was again from the Japanese recipe site, and this seems to be a "quasi-" German bread recipe that was simplified and modified for Japanese home bakers. It is absolutely a no-brainer; you just mix and bake, without leavening. For this bread I used black sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds (which I bought by mistake. I thought I grabbed a bag of sunflower seeds at the store, but obviously I grabbed a wrong one. But I don't think pumpkin seeds ruined the taste of the bread).
.
.

10 comments:

totoro kaiwa said...

Obachan,
Dense bread like the one you made is a favorite of mine. You mentioned something spicy on it to go with the ham and cheese. I've been mixing a little wasabi with my mayonaise - delicious!!!
ダイアナ

K and S said...

glad it turned out to your liking after all :)

ghanima said...

I have to say, Obachan, I thought the picture of the bread in your last post looked quite appealing. I was surprised that you didn't think it worked out! I'm glad that you've found a use for it which really lets it "shine" since then.

Ea Ejersbo said...

If this bread is anything like Danish rye bread (and it looks much the same), you should wrap the baked bread in a kitchen towel and let it rest until the next day before slicing. It's very good with pickled herring or rillettes :)

obachan said...

ダイアナ;
Wasabi mayo! That sounds terrific!
Thanks.

K & S;
Yep! :)

Ghanima;
I really thought that I blew it when I sliced the bread (while it was still a little warm) and a big chunk came off, sticking to the knife. But I guess it wasn't the bread... it was my lack of patience. :P

Ea Ejersbo;
Yeah, I learned a lesson. I can be patient sometimes, but when it comes to baking, I often break baked stuff because I tried to take them out of the tin right after they came out of the oven.

I can't get rillettes around here, but maybe I can find something close to pickled herring. Yeah, that must be good with this bread.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Obachan, it looks very similar to the professional bread sold here in Germany. It is typical traditional German bread: rather rough texture, hard crust, stuffed with grains and seeds. Therefore we need to add quite an amount of butter to soften it. We call it Vollkorn Brot.
Very healthy and one only needs to eat two slices just to keep the stomach full for 6 hours.

Yudy

Meg said...

I would like to try making this kind of bread. I'm glad it didn't turn out as bad as you thought!

obachan said...

Thanks, Meg. I'm glad, too.
:)

Rona Y said...

A bit late in catching up. . .

I think the bread looks great! I looked the recipe up and found it called for サワ-種パウダ-(あれば) 小さじ2 .

I've pretty much figured out the rest of the recipe (I think), but I have know idea what サワ-種パウダ is. I'm guessing by the あれば that it's optional, but could you tell me what it is, so I could use it if I have it?

I've been reading your blog on and off for a while now, but this is my first comment!

obachan said...

Hi Rona,
Thanks for leaving your first comment. I believe the サワー種パウダー is powdered sourdough starter.
I cannot find it anywhere around here, but maybe you can buy it easily over there?

Good luck. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin