Monday, September 14, 2009

Homemade Goya (Bitter Gourd) Tea -2-

Goya (Bitter Gourd) Tea

My previous post is dated Sep. 12th, but it was actually Sep. 6th that I sliced up the goya and started drying them. And yesterday I finally decided that they were dry enough. I roasted the dried goya slices and brewed them with hot water.


Goya tea before roasting (Sep. 13, 2009)

After being dried for a week, the goya slices looked greenish brown like above photo. After roasting, the color turned much darker.


Yes, this tea was bitter, but I thought it was tolerable. The bitterness can be easily adjusted anyway by using less amount of dried goya or brewing it shorter. So I'm happy with the result.
:)
.

7 comments:

jalna said...

Veeeery innovative! Beautiful photos as usual.

K and S said...

looks like the stuff I bought from Okinawa :) it is really bitter

grub said...

wow i like your photos obachan ^^

oh what does it mean to roast the goya? do you use an oven to do this?

Jeannie said...

Okay, that was my question, whether or not a shorter brewing time would make it less bitter. I will try it now. ありがとうございますおばちゃん!!

obachan said...

Jalna;
I kind of like the contrast of the color of the tea and the dark background. :)

K & S;
I heard that some omiyage goya tea is ground and packed in tea bags, which is said to be a lot bitterer.

grub;
No, I roasted the dried slices in a frying pan for -- I don't remember exactly how long -- maybe less than 5 minutes?

Jeannie;
どういたしまして。
But I don't know if the weaker tea would have any health benefit... :P

K and S said...

the one I have isn't ground, it looks like the one you made :) on another subject, ukon tea is very bitter.

Anonymous said...

Just discovered your blog and love it! You face life's challenges with such good humor and offer beautiful photos and delicious-looking goodies as well.
Thanks for the lift!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin