Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Fruit Salad for Salvaging Bland Fruits

Roasted Fruit Salad (Figs, peaches and blueberries)

My first encounter with a foodblog dates back to 2004. It was this lovely blog that totally charmed me and inspired me to start my own foodblog several months later. Yes, she who eats. That was the one. It was (and still is) a dream blog to me, and after reading the posts there, I felt like making everything she made and posted about.

One of the things that I definitely wanted to try out was this roasted fruit salad, because it looked so tasty and, at the same time, awfully easy to make. But in 2004, I didn't have a casserole dish, and couldn't buy much fruit except some real popular ones like apples, bananas and tangerines.

Now it's summer, 2009. I have this Pyrex thing, and more than necessary figs from mom's fig tree and loads of peaches. I tell you -- peaches are terrible this year here in Japan. Maybe because of the lack of sunshine? The ones we got from a relative as a summer gift were so firm and bland; they were almost like raw potatoes! My family didn't know what to do with the peaches, and when I was brainstorming, the memory of chika's roasted fruit salad came back to me. Yeah, some butter and brown sugar might do a magic...

The result: Bland peaches were still bland even after roasting, BUT the butter and brown sugar really helped. I cannot say that this was a great success, but it was not bad -- and definitely far better than eating the peaches fresh. (Figs tasted better when fresh, I would say.)

Maybe peach cobbler is worth a try to salvage the rest of the peaches.

-------
* I noticed the linkwithin widget on "she who eats" and just added it to this blog.
;) How do you like this?

5 comments:

K and S said...

too bad they were still bland, roasting sounds like a great idea!

chika said...

Kon-nichi-wa~~

Oh I'm sorry to hear about the peaches - I've had a few decent ones around here, but none really excellent. And yes, I've noticed that roasting can't always save suboptimal specimens...it only highlights the natural sweetness of the fruit, if any. Cobbler sounds like a better bet - some ice cream alongside would help, too.

obachan said...

K & S;
At least the peaches softened up after roasting, so it wasn't like eating raw potatoes at all.

Chika;
AHHHHHhhh Chika-san, ohisashiburi~~~~!! :D

It's so nice of you to drop by. Yeah, cobbler with ice cream. That sounds promising. Wish me luck! ;)

Anonymous said...

Dear Obachan,

Does your place have peaches from Yamanashi? They're constantly good throughout the years. Sweet, juicy and fleshy. Ahh, they can kill me. =P

totoro kaiwa said...

Obachan,
I just made a peach cobbler today with peaches from Ripon, Ca. Tasty! Tomorow we make homemade icecream with an old fashioned handcrank icecream maker to go with the cobbler. I didn't soak the wooden bucket of the maker in time to do it today. I love summer!
ダイアナ

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin