Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Two Bean Dishes

Bush String Beans?

IIRC, I think this type of beans were called "string beans" when I was in PA, USA, but I also heard "snap beans" and "green beans" somewhere else. Anyway, its season is already over around here, thus it is not a threat to me any more. :)

Ingen no Goma-ae

Now, this doesn't happen very often, but the other day I measured the ingredients(!!) when making this dish so that I can post a recipe. Here it is.

INGEN NO GOMA-AE (blanched string beans with sesame dressing)
Obachan's version
Ingredients (three to four servings)
120 to 150 g string beans
a pinch salt (for blanching)
3 Tbsp. toasted white sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 tsp sake

Blanch string beans with a pinch of salt. Drain and chop into 4 to 5 cm pieces. Grind toasted sesame seeds with a mortar and pestle. (Coarse grind is OK. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, put sesame seeds in a plastic bag and crush them with a bottle or a rolling pin.) Mix ground sesame seeds, sugar, soy sauce and sake. Dress the beans with the sesame seed dressing and serve.
-------


Ingen To Atsuage No Miso-Itame

This is my favorite dish, but so sorry, I didn't measure the seasoning ingredients. I made this dish at least four times since I came here, but each time I gave up measuring because I kept adding some of the seasoning ingredients until I felt enough... Anyway, if you are interested, the ingredients are:

Blanched string beans
Atsuage (deep-fried tofu)
*Miso
*Sugar
*Mirin
*Sake
Soy-sauce
White sesame seeds
Salad oil

And I always mix the seasonings marked with * in a small bowl beforehand, then pour over the ingredients being fried.

I'll try to measure and post the amount of each ingredient someday. Yeah, someday... hopefully.
:P


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've heard the term string beans and green beans but never snap beans. but then again, there are always regional terms. when i was on vacation in japan last, i've noticed that there was a very definite number vegetables commonly found in the supermarkets and department stores. and not much else outside that range. definitely did not see any string beans. am i wrong in my thinkng that japanese stick mostly to the same vegetables and seldom try veggies outside of what is traditional to eat?

the tofu string bean dish looks great. i'm going to give that a try.

happy cooking...

mura

Anonymous said...

oh they look so good! Thank you so much for the recipes =)

Anonymous said...

thanks heaps! the 1st dish is quite tasty, but the 2nd dish looks tastier even, a bit stumped without the measurement & thot of frying tofu...so havent tried yet. we call it french beans in singapore & malaysia. yours looks nice and fresh!
m

Great Stone Face said...

Could we use the proportions from this recipe on your old blog?

obachan said...

Mura;
I don't think Japanese supermarkets care much about being traditional or not, but I'm sure they are reluctant to take a risk because they hate to have much veggies left unsold. But I think almost any supermarket sells string beans (only in its season, though).

Anonymous commenter;
Hope you like them. :)

M;
Yeah, I read "French beans" on the wikipedia, too. It's so funny that the same thing is called in many different ways, isn't it?

Great Stone Face;
Yeah! It'll work, except you probably need more seasoning mixture for this dish because not much juice would come out from the beans and atsuage tends to taste bland if not coated with enough sauce. I like atsuage drenched in the sauce, though this photo doesn't look that way.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin