Saturday, July 25, 2009

Easy Kabocha Pumpkin Pudding

We have four different kinds of kabocha pumpkins ripening in our veggie garden now. Again, none of them are for sale. It's just for my family and extended family to eat. Then why do we need to grow so many different kinds? Well, it was dad's curiosity; he wanted to compare the taste and texture to pick his "favorite(s)." As a result, we have been eating simmered kabocha VERY often lately, and as you can imagine, I was getting sick of it.

Then this recipe (Japanese) came into my life and saved me. It's an easy pumpkin pudding (or "flan") recipe which doesn't require pressing the pumpkin mash through a strainer. All you have to do is to puree it in an electric blender with other ingredients, and I liked that very much. (Well, to be precise, the original recipe tells you to blend eggs and cream in a separate bowl and then mix with the pumpkin puree mixture made in the blender. And the pudding mixture needs to be strained through a strainer once, but it's no big deal.)

Baking in the oven


I had to admit that the texture was not quite smooth, but it was tolerable. And the taste was pretty good even though I substituted heavy cream with vegetable whipping cream and milk with soy milk so that dad can eat the pudding. The substitution was worth it because he ate it and loved it so much. Perhaps this pudding was the most successful dessert I've ever made here... Both my parents and even mom's tea ceremony students loved it.
GOOD! :D

* Sorry, there was a mistake in what I wrote about the instruction in the original recipe. I fixed it.

---------
(Added Jul. 29, 2009)

I guess I have been using the word "pudding" quite loosely. But if what I just read on this site is right, I think this dessert should be called "flan" instead of "pudding." This IS quite thick and firm.

17 comments:

Tindy said...

That's fantastic, Obachan! :) It looks delicious, too. I need to learn how to make purin. :/

And I've never had pumpkin pudding, either!

K and S said...

looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Wow! A healthier alternative and so well received by your parents and your mum's students. You are really so creative!

jalna said...

That looks wonderful!

Tindy said...

Oh no, Obachan. XD I just noticed, on the top of your page, it says "...interetested in."

Though, I suppose you're 'interestested' in cooking, with all those new recipes you try!

obachan said...

Tindy;
Next time I'm going to try the original recipe without any substitutions.
:)

K & S;
Thanks.

Anonymous commenter;
I shouldn't take what they -- especially mom's students -- say at face value, but it did feel good to hear them say, "Oh, this is good!"

Jalna;
Thank you :)

Tindy;
AHHHHHHHHHHHHh!!!!! :O
I had that up there for months!
Thanks for telling me. I just fixed it.

juventia_jesica said...

obachan..
I have one favour!!
Can you please send me Macaroon's recipe...
I just ate one today, despite what i thought it would taste like, I was shocked by how good it is...
so gooey in the middle.. and i remember reading your post once.. It seems difficult... =( and one sells for at least $1.50..
-jes-

tina said...

I used to love daikon covered in kabocha paste and the result was very sweet takuan. My aunt used to make it but I never got the recipe from her and I regret it now!

Anonymous said...

The substituition sounds altogether great! I should try the pudding soon. Sadly, I don't own a blender. Do you think mashing it up works?

totoro kaiwa said...

おばちゃん、
かぼちゃのプデイングのレシピをありがとう。プデイングの写真が"flan”みたいです。今日本語レシピを読むことはいい練習です。

ダイアナ

Mora said...

Hi, Obachan. I'm growing Kyoto pumpkin (shishigatani) in my very small garden this summer. If I'm lucky maybe I'll have enough to make your flan. I found this recipe that I think might work for those of us who don't read Japanese: http://www.bigoven.com/99563-Hubbard-Squash-Flan-recipe.html

obachan said...

Juventia_jesica;
I guess I used this recipe when I made and posted about it...
http://www.joyofbaking.com/CoconutMacaroons.html

Hope you like this recipe.

Tina;
Daikon covered in kabocha paste?! Now that's different. I wish I could taste it, too.

Anonymous commenter;
Mmmmm... I can't recommend that...

ダイアナ;
Googleでpudding とflanの違いを調べてみました。これはやっぱり、flanみたいですね。
日本語の勉強、楽しんでね。

Mora;
I didn't know what shishigatani looked like, and just found an image on the net. Wow! What an interesting-looking one! :D

It's very nice of you to post the link. Thanks.

And if someone really wants to try the original Japanese recipe and the babelfish didn't work, feel free to contact me. I'll see what I can do. ;)

Kirsty_girl said...

Thanks for sharing. I'm a huge kabocha fan.

I think it resembles a pudding more than a flan. My mother only made one type of flan so I could have a skewed image.

I can see this becoming a winter favorite. I love cookpad.

totoro kaiwa said...

Obachan,Our grandkids just returned from Japan and told us the rainy season is over. How is your garden?
ダイアナ

obachan said...

Kirsty girl;
I don't know how I could survive without cookpad, honestly. But I wish they'd let us use the "sort by ranking" function for free of charge, like Allrecipes does.

ダイアナ;
Yep, they finally announced the end of rainy season for our area this morning. This was the longest rainy season ever. :( Only one zucchini plant survived and almost all the tomatoes are cracking now...

Wait a second. You said grandkids?! For some reason, I had thought you were in early or late twenties!

Evie said...

That pudding/flan looks amazing! I might have to try the recipe out myself!

obachan said...

It's nothing excellent, but quite nice and easy.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin