Friday, June 05, 2009

Photogenic And...

Strawberry Tart which turned out satisfactory (finally!)

Maybe some of the long-term readers of my previous blog remember my strawberry tart post from 2008? Looking back, it seems that I never had a great success with strawberry tart, to tell you the truth. Sometimes it was the strawberries, and sometimes the tart shell or the cream that lead to a disappointing result. Well, but more than anything, it was ME. The result must have been better if I had tasted the berries beforehand, or if I had followed the recipe precisely. Hahaha...

But you know what? Even this obachan is making a progress. :)

Despite the disappointments in the past years, I didn't want to give up the pursuit of non-dairy tart recipe for my family, because it's a great way to consume loads of fruits we harvest almost throughout the year. Of course we can make jam and marmalade, but my parents don't eat much of them and I would get tired of them, too. To me tarts are a wonderful way to enjoy the freshness of the fruit with a different touch, like sweetness of the cream and crunchiness of the shell.

So I kept looking for recipes and experimenting with non-dairy substitutions, and finally got a satisfactory result this time. The strawberries were, again, the tangy ones from mom's garden. And the cream and the shell needed to be as light as possible to suit my parents' taste and preferably dairy-free due to my parents' health concerns. I definitely had to go through some trials and errors.

The first attempt after I moved in here was no good... The tart shell didn't come out from my small tart tins. LOL On the second attempt, the color of the beet sugar made the cream brown, so I used it for ampan and crepes. This was my third attempt. I substituted the sugar in this custard cream recipe (Japanese) with increased amount of beet granulated sugar, milk with soy milk, omitted rum and added a pinch of salt. For the crust, I chose this recipe (Japanese), did the same with the sugar (but did not change the amount), substituted the butter with margarine and again, added a pinch of salt.

I was soooooooo happy that the tart shells came out from the tins so easily! :D The custard cream was actually a little too light for me, so I might work some more on this recipe. But with this custard cream hiding beneath the whipping cream in the photo above, the tangy strawberries tasted much better. Even mom admitted that this tart was the best among all the things I made with strawberries after I moved in: jam, mousse and chocolate cake with strawberry cream. Yes, this time I can call this tart "Photogenic AND tasty." (Too bad the photo is not too good. It's raining now and I can't take great shots on rainy days...)

With this tart recipe, I can feel more at ease to face the upcoming fig season this year. YES!
;)

7 comments:

Emi said...

woah..congrats to your successful bake... i am drooling already...must be very tasty..continue to post more of your cooking escapade...
i am so envy of your free flow of fresh supply.. here in singapore, all our foods are imported.. hardly home grown now..sigh..

Pip said...

This tart looks very yummy, I'd love to have a bite right now! :P

K and S said...

they look delicious, I'm glad they worked out for you!

cocopuff1212 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cocopuff1212 said...

Oh, I think the photo is lovely! And the tart looks yummy. Is the mint from your mom's garden, too?

Kai said...

I have just started reading your blog in the past week and I wanted to thank you for some wonderful recipes! My father grows strawberries, and because his are often grown in half-shade, they're very tart--like yours. You could try giving them more light and more water (just make sure you have a well-draining potting soil). My way for getting around the tartness is to macerate the strawberries in sugar. If you blot them afterwards, they can still make a very handsome decoration, and they're much sweeter. Congratulations on your successful tarts!

obachan said...

Emi;
Thanks. It was a very light-tasting tart and I'm going to do something a little different with the custard cream next time.
Free flow of fresh supply... Mmmmm... I feel like calling it "flood" of fresh supply...
:P
It's funny. When I hear "Singapore" I always think about a place with abundant fresh food, especially fresh fruits and seafood. But maybe that is not the reality?

Pip;
Thank you. :)

K & S;
Yean, I'm glad, too. (But I have the feeling that my parents are not too crazy about tarts. It's probably too "different" for them, you know. For them, what comes with cream and fruits has to be "sponge cake," I guess -- not a crunchy stuff like a tart shell.

Cocopuff1212;
The mint is from the planter sitting right outside of my room. I stole it from my aunt's place, but didn't want to transplant it to our garden because I knew it would spread around and invade the whole place, like it is doing in her garden.

Kai;
Welcome to my humble blog. I haven't posted my own recipes yet, but I'm hoping to do so in the near future.

Macerating strawberries sounds interesting. Looks like our strawberry season is almost over but I can give it a try next year. Thanks for the idea! :D

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin