Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lemon Sorbet

Lemon sorbet (June 8, '09)

FYI, mom has her own small fridge in the annex(?). The other day something urged her to move the eight overripe lemons (which had been sitting in her fridge for months) to the main fridge in the kitchen. The veggie section of the main fridge was almost full and she asked me if I could make something with the lemons.

My parents make juice with goya (bitter gourd or bitter melon) and fruits almost every day, thus there's no need (and no space in the fridge) for lemonade. Other than lemonade, I couldn't think of anything else but lemon curd and lemon sorbet for using several lemons at one time. So I made lemon curd first. As I had expected, it was obviously too Western and too weird to my parents, and it's still kept in a small Tupperware in my own fridge.

Fine. It was expected. Maybe lemon sorbet would be a better choice that all three of us can eat.

So I decided to go for the sorbet, but unfortunately, on the previous day, all three freezers in this house became completely full with the last delivery of the frozen food mom had ordered without my knowledge. (She must have added the order after I checked the order sheet of the food co-op.) I asked her not to buy any more frozen food like that, which triggered another hunger strike. :( I'll tell you the details in my next post about the challenges, but anyway, it resulted in making some space in my own small freezer and I was able to make this sorbet.

I used the recipe on this Japanese site. The ingredients are simple: granulated sugar, water, rind of half a lemon and fresh-squeezed lemon juice. I did put the first three ingredients in a saucepan and brought to a boil, cooled it and added lemon juice, as the recipe said, but I was too lazy to strain the juice mixture with a cloth. :P

Still the sorbet turned out pretty good, and even mom liked it when she tried it after getting out her 3rd (4th?) hunger strike since I moved in. So I guess I can call it a success. It was extremely good and refreshing after the deep-fried dish last night.
:)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture Obachan.

Your mom sure 'strikes' easily.

... Maybe, you try seeing her as an 'outsider' and speak with more reservations, more respect, and less of your own mind, meaning; less straightforward. Perhaps, what she wants is a 'decent distance' and adequate respect for her 'comfort zone'. Anything falls within makes her uncomfortable, and thus she starves herself again to say it loud ' You're too close this time! '.

Anyway, ignore me if you think it's not working. But take heart dear, deep breath and try not think too much about it.

Grace said...

Yum looks tasty! I'll have to try this with the lemons my parents grow on their property. They never cook with them. They only use them to clean out their disposal.

Aleanor said...

Hello Obachan .. I have been reading your blog for years and never ventured into your food blog, how silly of me! ^^

I do think Anonymous gave some pretty good (and useful) insights. I think sensitivity is something synonymous with having Asian parents ... Something I think most of us face day in day out when dealing with the older generation ... And the level of sensitivity seems to increase with age!

But as with everything else, its easier said than done. ^^

K and S said...

looks delicious, sorry to hear about your mom's food strikes, but she sure loves to buy food...hang in there!

CAT said...

Hi Obachan

I can sympathize, I know my parents are getting more obstinate as they get older, maybe it's their way of reacting against their increasing loss of control... Right now they still live alone but I am sure there will come a day when I move back home as you did.

BTW What kind of fruits do your parents use to make the goya 'juice' - is there a recipe?

dawn said...

Wow! sounds delicious...beautiful pictures.

obachan said...

Anonymous commenter;
Thank you so much for your comment. It IS true that she's craving for her 'comfort zone' which, perhaps, no living person can adequately give.

Grace;
I think sorbet is a good idea (as far as there's enough space in the freezer). ;)

Aleanor;
Is that true? I thought I read your comments several times on my foodblog, but maybe that was my SCRIBBLES blog...

Yeah, as you say, I think sensitivity is important. Thanks.

K & S;
Right. Loves to buy food but never eats much of it, if any.

CAT;
Well, if you keep reading this blog, you might think twice about living with them in the future...???

About the goya juice. Mom uses half a goya (fresh), a quater apple, half (or whole if small one) banana, a little honey and about 300 mL soy milk (with additives). Sometimes she throws in a little lettuce or cucumber, too. Oh, and some ice cubes. The fruits and soy milk pretty much hides the bitterness of goya, but we like the juice with just a little bitterness. :)

Dawn;
Thanks! :D

Lucas said...

Good Luck Obachan, I know the challenge is tough, but you seem to be doing really well.
Also, thanks for the goya juice info - I bought one yesterday and used half in a failed champuru attempt (don't know why it faile; I made it many times in Osaka, but the Goya look a little different back in Australia). I guess I will try the juice option! Sounds really good - I just needs something sweet, like the apples to mask the full bitterness!

obachan said...

Hi Lucas,
I hope you enjoyed your goya juice. ;)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin