Saturday, June 06, 2009

From Our Veggie Garden (2)

Some morning photos from our family veggie gardens:
My zucchini -- Look!! Are these ...?!

Wow! You know what this means? It means that the start of my very first "fried zucchini flowers" project is drawing near. :D Gee. I wonder how many flowers I'm going to get! About two weeks ago, I thinned out the young zucchini plants and left only four of them. Now they are all looking good.

Here straw mulching is popularly used to keep the soil moist and suppress the growth of weeds.

And other vegetables are looking good, too.

Eggplants


Cucumbers


Tomatoes


Kabocha Pumpkin

Snap beans? French beans?

I don't know what this is called in English. Dad said it's a vineless variety.

In addition, leaf vegetables like spinach, lettuce, mizuna and daikon are growing like crazy.

Imagine all these vegetables becoming ready to eat one after another and being brought into our kitchen every day... When mom is on a hunger strike..! We already ate so much of the cucumbers and leafy vegetables, but it was just the beginning, I guess.

Please don't blame me for feeling a bit scared than happy.
:P

It's going to be a nice day today.

7 comments:

K and S said...

these look great!

Tindy said...

They look wonderful obachan!

立命館大学生になりました。9月に日本に行きますよ!

Ami said...

Your vegetables have grown so quickly! My zucchini seeds are eaten by rabbits before they grow their real leaves.

I am also growing bush beans this year, they are the only thing the rabbits wont eat.

Do you have any tips on growing Japanese eggplant? My eggplants grow so slowly compared to my other vegetables.

Joanna said...

Obachan, do you use pesticides on your crops? I ask because I read somewhere that many Japanese fruits and veg look so nice as a result of the use of pesticides.
Jo

obachan said...

K & S;
Yep, great... and a bit scary...
;)

Tindy;
Wow! Congratulations! :D
Ritsumei is great. I bet you'll have a great time there. Maybe we can meet up in Kyoto someday?

Ami;
Actually only zucchini is mine and all other veggies are being taken care of by dad.

Re. growing eggplants:
Dad said that he mixed in some oil meal and dried weeds as fertilizer when he prepared the soil before planting. I'm not sure if it was the reason but dad's eggplants seem to be doing fine.

Joanna;
I haven't used any and I don't think my parents use any on their veggies. But dad does use pesticide on the orange trees.

It is true that pesticides are used on many (most?) commercial fruits and vegetables in Japan and they look nice as a result. On the other hand, more people are becoming interested in healthier crops grown without pesticides, and now such crops are available at regular supermarkets, too, though a little expensive.

I guess people around here do not use pesticides on the fruits and veggies that they eat at home, but use some for the crops they sell. Good looks is a big thing, of course. But the bigger reason is that here in this hot and humid climate, disease and insect damage spread and turn severe so fast. It's terribly phisically demanding to fight against them without chemical pesticide, but around here, almost all farmars are old. Thus, they keep using pesticides, and personally I can't blame them.

Anonymous said...

wowwee! your garden looks good. haha most definately dont blame you for feeling a bit scared. there's only 3 of you at home. I can relate to that. the fruits from my grandad's garden had such a great impact on my mum that she has never ever bought those fruits even after grandad moved and we never got to eet such fruits again. she remembers too well the weekends of picking, cleaning and frantically distributing fruit so as to let them go to waste.
= ) looking back now it sounds a bit funnie = )

obachan said...

Hi. Sorry I neglected your comment for more than a month! :O
I can imagine how your mom feels. Food related trauma is very deep-seated. ;)
Say hi to your mom from me.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin