Saturday, June 27, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes

Gee... I never thought there would be the day that Michael Jackson dies... Yeah, I'd heard that he was sick, and with all the operations and rumors about his health, maybe it was expected? But still it's hard to believe ...

Anyway, "Fried Green Tomatoes" is my all-time favorite movie and thus this dish is very special to me. It's a great privilege that now I can get green tomatoes anytime (in tomato season, of course) from our veggie garden for free. No more walking around at the Sunday market asking, "Do you happen to have green tomatoes?" :)

Next time I want to make them thicker and crispier.

I was lazy and just tossed the sliced tomatoes in the flour mixture without dipping them in egg or milk or anything. As a result, I ended up seeing far more cornmeal at the bottom of the skillet than on the tomatoes. :P

That's OK. We still have plenty of green tomatoes in the garden.

10 comments:

midori said...

Hajimemashite! My sister told me about your blog and I have spent the last week reading them. I love how you write and really enjoy your pictures. It is amazing to see how your picture style has changed and developed over the past few years. I look forward to reading more about your life and cooking. Thank you for sharing a piece of yourself with the world!!

K and S said...

definitely a shock about MJ. Your fried green tomatoes looks delicious!

juventia_jesica said...

Bachan, never eaten one before... I love unripened tomatoes. They have a punch of sour in it and are harder than ripe ones. I love that sour crunch but I've never seen a tomato as green as a cucumber...

jes.
Lovely again!!!

Taylor said...

Your photographs are always so lovely. I have a black thumb, and everything in my garden seems to be dying. One day, I hope to have a wonderful garden like yours!

obachan said...

Midori;
Hi. Thanks for your nice comment.
Actually it is not so much of the improvement of my photo-taking skill but my cameras. I started with a real cheap one and replaced it with better ones. Hahaha...

K & S;
I wonder what it would be like if used lard instead of veg. oil to fry them...

Juventia_jesica;
I heard that some people make pickles with green tomatoes. They must be nice and crispy, I guess...

Taylor;
Oh, don't be too hard on yourself. It may not be your thumb but the weather. :)

Tindy said...

I love Fried Green Tomatoes too, Obachan. :D It was my mom's favorite movie! Never actually eaten them, though...

Implosion said...

Obachan,
I took one look at your picture of fresh green sliced tomatoes and I honestly squinted because I could almost "taste" its tartness.
Great photo!

Rinshinomori said...

Love fried green tomatoes. You have some beautiful looking green tomatoes there! Lucky you.

Love serving fried green tomatoes with Cajun style remoulade sauce.

obachan said...

Tindy;
You should try it if you can get the ingredients there. If you know the taste of fried green tomatoes, you will love the movie even more.

Implosion;
I know. That soft part with the seeds, right? ;)

Rinshinomori;
I've never tasted remoulade sauce, but I imagine a mayo-based sauce must be good for this dish.

Rachel@TastyThailand said...

Oh my all time favorite movie too, in fact I just bought it again on DVD last month. Must watch it soon :)

Those fried green tomatoes (which I've never eaten, btw) look delicious.

BTW, your English is amazing (I say this, as I'm in Thailand and taught English here for years. Met a few Japanese, but not that many who spoke good English and I've heard that's pretty common in Japan?? Where did you learn?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin