Friday, May 22, 2009

Loquat Compote

Loquat Compote (with white wine)

I have never thought that a bounty of fresh food can be a pressure, or a threat, but it sure can. My mom and I had taken a look at our loquat trees the other day and decided to pick them this weekend. But the day before yesterday, dad said that the loquats were looking good. I thought our plan was still unchanged, but yesterday afternoon, mom went ahead and picked them. So this is what I saw while still being in the recovery stage from the "cabbage shock."*

Then mom declared that these were not ripe enough and not sweet. Yeah, thanks.

So I kind of got an excuse to try out a compote recipe (in Japanese) with these not-so-sweet loquats. (I always feel reluctant to cook ripe and sweet ones, because I think they taste the best as-is.)

I used beet granulated sugar again and added it more than the recipe called for, remembering the disappointing experience with the strawberry mousse. It was not a clever thing to do, actually -- the compote turned out a little too sweet. But it may taste good when eaten with yogurt or baked in something or used for jelly. Anywa y I'm happy that now I know one way to save loquats from being wasted. :)


Oh, what was "cabbage shock?" We had good amount of cabbage leftover in the fridge and dad brought BIG one from the veggie garden and another huge one was delivered by food co-op delivery. Well, no big deal... No big...
-------

I made jelly with the loquat compote today (May 23). Not bad, but a little tangy kick would have been nice.
-------

I even made a test batch of cake roll with whipping cream and the loquat compote as the filling today (May 24). It was just another "OK, but..." stuff. I guess you can't expect a miracle-like delicious result when the compote itself was not tasty enough...

7 comments:

K and S said...

my mom would have made jam with that loquat :) I would have made asazuke with the cabbage :) you are so lucky to have so much fruits and veggies there (even it is overwhelming)!!

obachan said...

Kat, I would have made jam if there weren't 4 more jars of ume jam and 2 more jars of jam/marmalade from co-op. I had made okonomiyaki, yakisoba, asazuke, steamed cabbage, cabbage rolls, chan-chan yaki, cabbage soup and coleslaw. Mom threw chopped cabbage into miso soup every other day. And still the biggest cabbage is left untouched. (--;

K and S said...

man that is a LOT of cabbage! you should make tsukemono with the one you have left! at least it will last a little longer that way :) good luck!

Mags said...

Looks good...I've never tried Loquat but saw them at the supermarket today...I'm sure they would taste much better fresh.

obachan said...

K & SThanks. I need it.

MagsYeah, that's right.I love eating fresh loquat but my hands always get messy... :P

Mi said...

I can't help but get angry with you....you have too much loquats and I am paying like 60US cents for one here T_T

To digress....the texture of your cake roll looks great! Something I appreciate but bakers here seems to not be able to achieve.

obachan said...

Oh, please, don't get angry with me. :D I wish I could send you some for free. Honestly, I think someone who has a power should do something about food distribution in the world. It's such a shame that some people are starving while I'm almost throwing up from having to consume so much food here...

What you said about my cake roll is so flattering. Thanks! It was worth making many slices to choose the one showing least number of big holes. LOL

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin